Sunday, September 20, 2015

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Most likely yesterdays Boston Sharkfest was the last open water competition of the year. From here on out the water will get colder and fewer and fewer swimmers will want to compete in organized races. So sad!

Happily though it was a beautiful day in Boston with a gorgeous water temp of 68 degrees and I walked away with a "W" in my age group-again! This was the fourth annual Sharkfest swim in Boston's Seaport District. Swimmers are shuttled from the booming Seaport district via water taxi to Pier Park in East Boston to swim 1500 meters across the channel to the Moakley Courthouse. The Sharkfest Series is organized by Enviro-Sports out of Stinson Beach, CA. Brother Bill and I are familiar with them as their marquee swim and a original swim is the Alcatraz Sharkfest swim which we have done multiple times San Francisco Bay in the late 90's (yikes-that makes one feel old).



It has been fun to see the franchise grow to multiple swims across the country and finally to land in Boston.  I have competed all four years and have won my age group the last two years.

This year I swam with my fast (younger) friend Tucker.  He is a fast former Weston Tide swimmer and Massachusetts state champion. Tucker and I swam this event with each other in a couple of years ago. (see blogpost dated 9/22/13) 

We both had good swims this year. Tucker swam with his fast new wetsuit this year and got second overall and first in his age group. I swam skins got first in my age group and swam two minutes faster than last year.  Me being me I did a bit more analysis of the results and found out I was the top non-wetsuit male in every age group down to 30-34. Not to bad.



All in all it was a great day. Great weather, great water temp and great swimming.  Couldn't have asked for a much better fall Saturday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment