Sunday, April 26, 2015

I Left My Heart...in Aquatic Park*



Wow-what a great way to end Spring Break 2015! 

We had a quick trip to San Francisco after Yosemite before heading home. Lunch at the Ferry Building, a tour around the old haunts on Russian Hill and Chestnut Street capped off by dinner at Trattoria Contadina and a walk through North Beach.  

With less than 24 hours in San Francisco there was only one thing left to do to make the trip complete and that was a swim in legendary Aquautic Park. 

Shannon and I got up at a respectable 7:00am and took a short walk from our hotel to Aquatic Park for a swim (well actually-I did). As expected it was foggy and a bit cool with the bay breeze. I did a quick deck change on the beach and headed to the water. Getting in the water wasn't so quick...it was a chilly 55 degrees! It was pretty cold at first but within a couple minutes it felt great! I swam the buoy line and then out past the breakwall to get a good view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. 


Looking back at the Dolphin Club, the Balcutha and Ghiradelli Square it was absolutely magical!  I swam back towards shore and did the buoy line another time as I waited for Shannon to finish her walk. When we met up I took my iPhone back to the water with me for some water pics  hoping my new waterproof case really worked.



Just as I lingered getting in the water, for some reason I did the same with getting out and getting dressed again. Mistake! By the time nurse Shannon and I made it to the Starbucks for a warm beverage a block away I was shivering uncontrollably. I couldn't will my hands to stop shaking as I checked out my photos. Ten minutes later after a cup of tea I was a bit chilled but in good shape.

It was perfect morning and great thing to do before the long flight back to Boston. 

I only wish when we were living in San Francisco and going by Aquatic Park nearly everyday I would have taken more advantage of it.  Maybe in the future...

*Below is a short tribute to Aquatic Park sung to the tune of I Left My Heart In San Francisco



I Left My Heart In Aquatic Park*

The loveliness of Seattle seems somehow sadly 
gray
The glory that was LA is of another day
I've been terribly alone and forgotten in 
"Bahsthan"
I'm going home to my swimming place by the Bay.

I left my heart in Aquatic Park 
Off Hyde Street hill, it calls to me
To be where open water swimmers go to swim in the 
great Bay
The morning fog may chill the sea, I don't care

My love waits there in Aquatic Park 
At the Dolphin Club we start each day
When I come home to you, Aquatic Park
Your open shores will make my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment